05 November 2012

Why read horoscopes?

When getting to know a new friend, a question that I find sparks quirky conversation would be:

"What's your zodiac sign?"

Then you hear a cascade of questions relayed about each others' traits and if, or how, the characteristics of the zodiacs match their personalities.

Then I got (or rather felt) criticized by someone I dated recently about my fondness of reading horoscopes. He blurted out, "Doctor ka ba talaga?" I guess it was for the lack of scientific basis that sparks most skepticism about horoscopes.

I began to reassess the real reason why I read horoscopes.

I guess its been a thing for me and my friends to read about zodiac signs and horoscopes.  Sometimes we find ourselves sitting around reading twitter feeds about certain traits and seeing if we relate to them, or to someone we know.

I guess there's really no harm in my interest of horoscopes. But what keeps us reading them?

I suppose it's a fascination with being able to predict the future, being able to take control, feeling somewhat omnipotent or perhaps even God-like.

Often times now when I'm asked, "Do you believe in horoscopes?" I often resort to Zenaida Seva's famous line, "Hindi hawak ng mga bituin ang ating kapalaran. Gabay lamang sila. Meron tayong free will, gamitin natin ito."

We just want to believe in something. Perhaps even find out that we are not the only person going through the same thing; that maybe someone out there, a fellow Taurean or whatnot, is experiencing the same thing.

A line from Floy Quintos' play, Fake, hit close to home when the character Jose Marco alluded that we create and believe in things because we want to create hope. Hope is the, "flicker of light that we hold on to in the darkness," when we are lost, don't know what to do next, or perhaps are even looking for a sign.

I read horoscopes for guidance and hope.  Admixed with free will, my path will always be lit.  If anyone ever asks me again, "Why read horoscopes?" I'd proudly answer... Why not? Wynant :)

No comments:

Post a Comment